The Boat Shed Cafe and Bistro
$4 - $70 NZDVisit Website
Set in the restored, historic New Zealand Railways Shipping Office, The Boat Shed’s building dates back to 1869-78 and was originally used as a store. In 1936 it was bought by Frank G. Duncan, a Dunedin lawyer, and moved from central Queenstown to its current location on the Frankton waterfront.
Over the years the building and associated Boat Shed fell into disrepair, until 2011 when volunteers of the Wakatipu Community Maritime Preservation Society undertook a restoration project. The society’s efforts were recognised when it won the Heritage and Environment award in the 2012 TrustPower Queenstown Lakes District Community Awards. The building was then officially opened by Prime Minister John Key on 1 March 2013.
The original New Zealand Railways Shipping Office sign was found in the Boat Shed during renovations, upside down and being used as a workbench and, now it hangs in the cafe as a reminder of Frankton Marina’s heritage and history.
Now housing The Boat Shed Cafe & Bistro, we welcome you for coffee, breakfast, lunch and drinks by the lake!
- Eat In Only
- Kids menu
- Outdoor seating
- MinPrice: $4
- MaxPrice: $70
- We do not offer transport, however the team are more than happy to arrange transport for you, or call you a taxi to your preferred destination.
- Holiday hours: Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Months of Operation: Open year round
- Group Info: We are available for private events and can host functions for up to 50pax seated and 80 standing.
- Group Reservation Email: email@example.com