- Duration: 5 - 8 hours return
- Best time to go: The Great Walks season runs 24 October 2017 – 30 April 2018 and walkers are strongly encouraged to not go outside of this season due to hazardous conditions and the risk of avalanche.
- Location: Starts from the Routeburn Shelter located at the Glenorchy end of the Routeburn Track.
- Finish Point: Routeburn Shelter
- Difficulty: Intermediate, with a steady climb from Routeburn Flats to Routeburn Falls Hut.
The track starts at Routeburn Shelter and immediately crosses a spectacular swing bridge, then gently winds alongside the crystal-clear Route Burn River.
After passing Sugarloaf Stream, you’ll climb to Bridal Veil Waterfall and continue above the gorge. Another swing bridge leads to open grassed flats, and the Routeburn Flats Hut and Campsite.
The track then climbs steadily through beech forest, providing views of the Humboldt Mountains. After 1 – 1.5 hours you will reach the Routeburn Falls Hut, on the edge of the bushline and close to the impressive Routeburn Falls cascade.
You'll be rewarded with spectacular vistas over vast mountain ranges and valleys.