The Moonlight Track is a narrow but well defined trail that starts at picturesque Moke Lake and follows the historic route into the Moonlight goldfields.
From Moke Lake campsite follow the Ben Lomond Station farm road above Moke Creek, passing the remnants of an old mining settlement, Sefferstown. The farm road forks here – take the track to the right. Pass the sign to Ben Lomond Saddle and turn right onto the Moonlight Track to Arthurs Point.
You can also tackle the track from the other direction, starting at Arthur's Point, past Sefferstown and to the Moke Lake campsite.
- Duration: 4-5 hrs one way
- Best time to go: Summer
- Location: Ben Lomond station
- Start/finish point: Moke Lake Reserve/Mcchesney Rd in Arthur's Point township
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Bike too? Yes: Intermediate with reasonable skill and fitness
- Insiders tip: The Moonlight Track is not a loop, so make sure you have transport arranged pick you up at the other end.
Or to add some more excitement, you can start at the Queenstown end of the track and catch the Skyline gondola to the top of Bob's Peak. From here follow the path to the Ben Lomond saddle, and from here a series of poles mark the track to Sefferstown. About five minutes below Sefferstown are the remains of the old Moke Creek stone school, which dates back to the 1880s. From here you can drop down to walk to either Arthur's Point or finish at Moke Lake.
- Open For Business : Yes