Have you got yourself some wheels and want to take them for a spin around Queenstown? Great! Whether you want to gaze at soaring mountains, waterfalls, or pan for gold, there’s a destination filled with things to do once you’re there—and of course, all roads lead back to Queenstown afterwards.
Queenstown to Glenorchy
Driving distance: 45km
Travel time: 45minutes
Renowned as one of the top eight scenic drives in the world, the spectacular lakeside road from Queenstown to Glenorchy takes you into Lord of the Rings country. Enjoy breathtaking views of Lake Wakatipu, snowcapped mountains, pristine lakes and rivers, and national parks.
- Visit Paradise – you’ll see why it got its name!
- There’s a huge range of scenic short walks around Glenorchy including the Lagoon Walkway and Lake Sylvan. Glenorchy is also the jump-off point for several of New Zealand’s most famous multi-day hikes including the Routeburn, Greenstone and Caples tracks.
- About 25km into your trip is the Bennett’s Bluff lookout which is a must-stop for a stunning view and photo opportunity.
- We encourage you to take your time and enjoy the scenery but please be aware that there are not many places for traffic to overtake so please be considerate of other drivers and pull over to let them pass.
- This road can be icy in winter so carry chains and take extra care when driving.